In any kitchen, regardless of its equipment, there are the necessary things.Such a subject is a knife. Of the varieties on the market, it is worth considering the Japanese firms Samura and Tojiro, they are among the best.But how many knives should be and which ones?
What knives are
In the kitchen there must be a “Cook Three” – a set with which all the main work is performed. A large knife with a blade of 30–45 cm, an average one is less than 30 cm and a small one up to 20 cm.
The presence of auxiliary knives depends on the preferences and culinary capabilities of the hostess. Their presence is not necessary, but can simplify life.
- For cutting bread – long, with a wavy blade;
- For slicing meat – with a blade that is narrow at the end, expanding towards the base;
- Notched – for fish;
- Loin with a flexible blade – narrow and long;
- A knife for vegetables and fruits – with a short and sharp blade at the end;
- For slicing cheese and sausages – with a long and wide blade without bends;
- For oil – with a rounded tip;
- For pizza – with a blade in the form of a circle, attached at a distance from the handle.
How to choose a kitchen knife
- Blade material – use stainless, carbon steel, titanium, knives will last a long time, if you make sure that it does not rust.
- Knives from high quality carbon steel of good quality can be purchased from Tojiro.
- Ceramic blade is very sharp, does not rust, but brittle. Samura introduced keramatitanium blades – a combination of the advantages of ceramic and steel.
- The forged blade is much stronger than extruded. Damascus steel is the most expensive. They have a characteristic pattern on the surface.If used as intended, they will last for decades.
- The appearance of the blade – smooth, without dimples, bumps and chips.Well sharpened, you should not take it without sharpening, considering that at home it will turn out better. Optimum thickness.
- Handle – Materials such as wood, bone and the like may crack, and it will break at the most inopportune moment. Plastic handle – much stronger, but it may be that inside an empty cavity. Durable and durable – metal, the only negative – more than weight compared to other options. The knife is convenient to lay in the palm, does not cause discomfort.
- Fastening – the handle is firmly attached, not loose. The blade should run along the entire length of the handle, and the rivets should not stick out of the grooves.
- Weight – if the knife is heavy, additional efforts will be required when cutting, the hand will be tired. If the knife is designed for solid products, it will be harder, but the tension in the hand is minimal.
- Balance – if the knife is well balanced, it will allow you to put less effort.Check by placing the knife on the finger at the junction with the blade, if not dropped, then the balance is in order.
Where to buy knives for the kitchen
To buy good knives that will help you enjoy the process of cooking and will last a long time, you need to contact a trusted store. Before buying, go to the store and look at them live, hold it in your hand. Once a firm is selected, you can find an optimal price site on the Internet. If the selected manufacturer is represented only in online stores, you need to refer to the reviews. Preferred proven sites with a good rating. Be sure to check the certificates and warranty service conditions.
Remember the basic rules:
- wash the knives immediately;
- need to wash with warm soapy water;
- do not wash knives in the dishwasher;
- do not store wet;
- be sure to sharpen;
- Store separately from other kitchen utensils.
Knives are selected depending on the need, you should not take a set of 20 pieces, if you are going to use only five. It is better to choose each separately.If the kit does not have a stand, then you need to purchase it separately, as storage and care must meet certain requirements.